Sunday, August 9, 2009

Sunrise and Sunset

Perhaps it is because the most enjoyable weather of the summer is associated with the sun going down or about the time the sun comes up (when we usually run), but I think some of the best pictures we've captured while here in Kirkuk are at those times as well. Here are a few that you may have seen in other blogs, but I really enjoy them so I'll put them here again.

Here are the fires burning at the oil wells 24/7 to get rid of the natural gas and other useful fuels found with crude oil (but too difficult for their system to capture and use).

Here is a great picture of sunrise behind one of our Blackhawk Air Evacuation choppers.

Here is one of sunset behind a C-130 on the taxi-way.

The above pictures are of a sunrise over a bunch of the tactical vehicles called MRAPs (Mine Resistant Ambush Protective).

Above is a sunset where the sun is barely visible through the dust haze.
A clearer sunset behind our (former) running hill and some more MRAPs (there are hundreds of them on base).
You can see the reflection of this sunrise (a little bit) in the one pond on base.
And this one is of the moon over the mosque and our ambulance Humvees.

1 comment:

  1. I wish I could see one of those sunrises or sunsets with you! I bet they are even more spectaular in real life!
    I love and miss you!

    ReplyDelete