Monday, June 22, 2009

Visitors to the KRAB

Out here in the middle of the desert, despite the fact that it never rains, there are a few animals that we see around the area. The most common ones are small birds (finches I think), but here is a picture of one of the small, scragly doves that we have here as well.

I've seen a couple of hedgehogs on my runs and these mangy foxes with bushy tails that look like big, skinny cats, but I don't have pictures of either of them.

Here is one of the little lizzards that we see everywhere.


We do have some interesting insects (big camel spiders, etc). I have no idea what this is - some kind of locust I suppose.

We do have a bunch of snakes that the environmental guys catch every now and then. One of them actually made it's way into the room down the hall, where it was apprehended. Here is one of the pictures of the biggest one I have seen since getting here.

Here is a smaller one that we put on one of the gurneys in our ER, then let Nick get up close and personal with it (of course it was dead already, but still disconcerting to be face - to - face with).

Here is a close up of the head - I understand that they are some kind of pit viper.


And here I am being excessively grinny while holding the snake.

The reality is that they are not the visitors here, we are. They have been here thousands of years, and they will be here long after we are gone as well.















No comments:

Post a Comment